Former race winner Alexander Rossi pitted injury has become one of the bigger stories leading up to the Indianapolis 500, after suffering injuries during a high stress practice session at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Rossi, who had been forced into medically assisted racing following his being put in a oxygen tent after going under on Monday night continues to hold on to his preparations ahead of race weekend, keeping fans and his Ed Carpenter Racing team hopeful of a return to one of motorsports’ most legendary events.
The incident took place on the first post-qualifying practice session Sunday, a session already marred by bad weather. Rossi who had impressed all week during qualifying and was comfortably in second place to start, was getting into the high-speed laps as the clouds came thick and fast when a problem occurred as they came through Turn 2. His 1953 No. 20 Chevrolet lost traction in the first couple turns and the vehicle was thrown wide in the outside wall.
The effect initially rolled over Rossi’s car half-way then hurled it back onto the surface of the track. Seconds later, the whole situation got even more chaotic as Pato O’Ward’s Arrow McLaren Chevrolet came towards the wreck and barely escaped contact, though. O’Ward’s car banged into Rossi’s wreck with significant force, damaging large sections of the sidepod and showing signs of damage around the area where the aeroscreen is located.
Romain Grosjean was also involved in the accident, but was checked and released following the crash from the infield medical center. But for Rossi, it needed other medical attention. Almost 4 1/2 hours after the collison, the 34-year-old was rushed by IndyCar officials to a nearby hospital for further evaluation, officials said.
Thankfully, for Rossi and his fans, Ed Carpenter Racing provided a welcome boost of news in an official statement on Social Media later. Rossi’s team said they performed his surgeries in an outpatient setting and they were successful, fixing injuries to a finger in his left hand and his right ankle. Importantly, no injuries could be found after thorough medical examinations.
First, the group of the fans was reassured that Rossi was still in a positive mood after factoring in the extreme nature of the accident. Second, it has ensured that his concentration is on returning to the cockpit as he prepares for Sunday’s Indianapolis 500 – an event he has been through many times, and where he intends to return very soon.
A team statement said that Rossi is in good spirits but with no additional injury and his recovery will be overseen by INDYCAR Medical Director Dr. Julia Vaizer and the medical team.
But despite the rosy scenario, Rossi’s race is still not a sure bet. The Indy Car medical team will keep working on him over the week leading up to his official clearance to drive. The team has already started to work on a back up car in case Rossi is able to come back in the final practice on Friday.
The way they prepared themselves for that crash shows just how serious the situation was. This is no place for backup cars to be put together flippantly, particularly this close to race day at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Teams are aware that even minor injuries can create huge challenges operating machines at speeds exceeding 230 miles per hour and mile upon mile.
But no one should be surprised at Rossi’s resolve after going through his racing career. The Californian gained his name through his resilience, coolness and courage in times of crisis. Since his rookie year Indy 500 win in 1916, things haven’t been the same for Rossi, who is one of the most well regarded drivers in IndyCar.
This latest setback now adds another emotional layer to his 2026 campaign. Rossi was in position to go for a second win at the Indy 500 after limiting his time to just make the pole only in qualifying but a crash put an end to that. His run was one of the fastest in the pack and many were seen as a strong contender going into race week.
The rest of the time, Ed Carpenter Racing nervously awaits news of the makeover of their new Chevrolet while the doctor makes careful note of Rossi’s progress. The team recognizes the challenge to get through, but they know they’ll support the driver’s desire to race.
Lastly, it remains to be seen in the next days whether Rossi will get medical clearance Friday for practice and eventually Sunday of the 110th Indianapolis 500. The silver lining is that the injuries were not serious and Rossi is still a fighter.
As Rossi has shown time and time again following a dangerous resulting from such an impact, drivers at the Indianapolis 500 are considered one of the toughest classes of sporting athletes.
Loop in and keep an eye out for updates and Indy 500 coverage from Zeroto30s:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zeroto30s/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/zeroto30s
Twitter: https://twitter.com/zeroto30s
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@Zeroto30s