The Indian tour of Bangladesh may get delayed again as they continue the negotiations just days before the white-ball six-match series kicks off. Bangladesh cricket board president Tamim Iqbal has told that they are still negotiating the dates and have crossed a new hurdle in their meeting with Board of Control for Cricket in India.BCB president Tamim Iqbal has said that they are still talking to BCCI on the dates and stuck on one more hurdle for a tour that was delayed once before. Originally the series was to be run from August 2025, which was postponed to September 2026, and the most recent comments indicate that this date might need to change once again.
Proposed series includes three ODIs and three T20Is to be played in Dhaka and Chattogram respectively. In January, the BCB had earlier announced the revised tour schedule but there has been no official word from BCCI. The uncertainty has revived renewed speculation that the match may be delayed yet again given the planned first ODI is just a couple of days off.
Both boards are continuing to meet, and the dates might be slightly altered, depending on the progress of those discussions, he said in a press conference in Dhaka. His statements followed BCB’s announcement of the timing of the age-group Game Development Trophy that will be held Aug 28-Sept 9 at the Shere Bangla National Stadium.
With it coming at a time when the India series is being scheduled, the timing immediately raised questions. In case the Indian tour goes ahead, then the domestic competition can be moved to the Bashundhara ground, however, Tamim said. That flexibility, and a hint of the board’s future planning to host India, could mean that they are still wrapping their heads around the situation.
The last draft schedule for India against Bangladesh was set for 28 August, followed by three ODIs from 1, 3 and 6 September respectively. These three T20Is were subsequently taken up for September 9, 12 and 13. If they are altered, then the boards will have to try and determine some other window that will fit around their commitments in the international venue.
The relationship between the two cricket boards is also on a strained patch as is seen in India-Bangladesh cases, so that’s an interesting situation. The disputes escalated after Kolkata Knight Riders’ decision to drop out of IPL while a Walcott-and-Ahmad stand was in progress later this year following the BCB announcement of the tour. Bangladesh then bowed out of the T20 World Cup, which was being hosted by India as well.
But, there has been a hint of goodwill. BCB president-elect Tamim, who recently crossed the pond to assume the helm of the BCB, had hopped over to India earlier this month and allegedly paid a visit to the BCCI’s Centre of Excellence in Bengaluru. This meeting was considered to be a positive as communication between two boards had gained more importance at that time.
However the latest comments indicate that the series aren’t necessarily at risk of being cancelled. Rather, it seems the question is which dates to choose to Chattanooga, Tenn., dates that both boards agree on. The reason is that there is a lot of cricket in the schedule worldwide and shifting one series can influence a number of other series.
In India, timing becomes so crucial as it is competing in the international arena with a packed schedule. A change in the Bangladesh series will affect the players’ workload, and their travel and preparation schedules for other assignments. Bangladesh, on the other hand, will have a very tight home schedule with local matches to play.
By shifting the Game Development Trophy, the BCB is ready to take some steps to ensure it meets its goal. However, for now, the existing list remains open due to the fact that the BCCI and the BCB have yet to get to a final conclusion and publicize the revised dates.
For fans, the anticipation is at a bad time. It is understood that both sides would get much needed white ball cricket and Bangladesh would be hosting a one of the biggest cricket national team. Meanwhile, India would have crucial ODIs and T20Is after getting their international hoops fastened in their preparation for the next cycle.
The next few days might thus be critical. If this great accord is reached soon, then the series may proceed with a few minor variations. If not, another postponement may be inevitable if they don’t locate the right window.
For now, India haven’t cancelled the Bangladesh tour but the original plan seems to be under discussion. It is clear from Tamim’s comment that both boards are communicating with each other and the BCB is flexible about its domestic tournament which indicates that Bangladesh is ready to embrace changes.
So less then this question that comes to mind – when will Indians actually venture into Bangladesh? BCRIF fans will have to wait for clarity as the BCCI and BCB await their final verdict on a series which has already been delayed once.
Social media:
Instagram: Zeroto30s Instagram
Facebook: Zeroto30s Facebook
Twitter/X: Zeroto30s Twitter
YouTube: Zeroto30s YouTube